The former St Helena Girls’ High School and its architect GH Widdows is the subject of a short note we’ve compiled with the Chesterfield and District Civic Society. This blog contains details about how to access it.
Chesterfield and District Civic Society have run a blue plaque scheme in their area for many years. The plaques aim to highlight buildings and people of note and interest. Their latest addition is pictured here. It was unveiled at the entrance gate piers to the former St Helena Girls’ High School, Sheffield Road, on 7 March 2022. The premises are now the University of Derby’s Chesterfield Campus.
The school was opened in 1911. It was designed by GH Widdows – who became nationally famous as an innovator in school design. It is Grade II listed.
You can read more about the plaque unveiling, the building and its architect by following this link. This will open a news item on the civic society’s website. Towards the bottom is a downloadable pdf with more about the buildings history and GH Widdows – but we’ve also made the same pdf available below.